One goal down, a lot more to go - Mt Oberon Summit walk.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mt Oberon

What a day, and boy am i hurting... 
I have been bugging my husband that I want to do the Mt Oberon walk at Wilson's Promontory Victoria for a while now,  and today he said he was taking the day off work, weather was nice so off we went. 

We started with a yummy picnic lunch that I prepared earlier (salad wrap for me) then off we took to the summit of Mt Oberon, 3.4 km each way.  The visitor pamphlet said a moderate to hard walk, and boy they were not mistaken.  Up hill all the way with no reprieve.  Just when I thought we were at the top, up we went again.  This time up a whole heap of rock steps.  I might add, that my much thinner and fitter husband, pushed the pram all the way up (until we got to the rocks) so good going to him...

Finally we got to the top and boy was the hard work worth it.. Such a beautiful place with views for miles.. After a short rest it was time to head back down the hill.  My five year old daughter was over the whole thing so I had to carry her back down the mountain.  Not easy carrying a 20kg child when I am carrying double that in excess weight.  But I successfully did the walk, and I am so proud of myself for doing it.  The only problem is I forgot to wear my HRM so have no idea how many calories I burnt off, but judging by the sweat and the fact that I could I feel my heart betting out of my chest, it would have been a fair few. 

I told my daughter whilst walking down the hill, that we don't get to see such beautiful countryside sitting on our bums on the couch, something that I will remind myself of everyday....

Here are some photo's of my journey up the mountain




There are so many great walks at the 'Prom' and my goal is to walk them all.  Take a look for yourself at the following link of what the 'Prom' has to offer. http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/

2 comments:

  1. Geez that looks beautiful!!! You'll have to conqueror it again and wear your HRM to find out the calories burnt ..... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was beautiful and so worth the hard work to get to the top. I am going to do the walk again at the end of every round of 12wbt. Thought that will gauge my fitness levels.

    ReplyDelete